Support Modifications

In modifying an alimony order, the moving party would need to demonstrate a material change in circumstances. What that generally means is that there exist circumstances that affect either one former spouse’s need for support or the other former spouse’s ability to pay.

In modifying a child support order, the moving party would need to demonstrate circumstances having occurred since the last judgment that are substantially different from those existing at the time the last order entered,  and that modifying the current child support order would be in the best interests of the child.  Some examples of substantial changes include, but are not limited to:
1. job loss;
2. the existing order is at least three years old;
3. increase in a parent’s income or assets;
4. decrease in a parent’s income;
5. custody changes;
6. unanticipated increase in education costs for the children; and
7. health insurance at a reasonable cost is no longer available, or is now available.

If you believe a modification of your child support or alimony is warranted because a change in circumstances has occurred, we encourage you to schedule a consult with us to discuss your case and how we might be able to help you.

Request Information

Call 508-393-3525

State Massachusetts